You can add mating records at any time and in any order.
1. Click on at top of page, or
2. Click on the next screen to enter the Mating, Add new screen
3. Select a Dam, an Action (Mating, Birth, Spitoff, Ultrasound, or Notes), Sire and Action Date
4. The Gestation Days field displays a default value of 342 days but you can override that for a herd and for individual animals. Read how to set gestation days here
Please ignore this field if not entering a Mating record. This number writes to the Gestation Days column in AotG >> Mating only when Mating is selected from the Action field. Changing this number has no effect on Birth, Spitoff, Ultrasound, and Notes records. Please see 8 below
5. You can come back later, eg after a birth, to enter an Outcome and Comments
7. A visual confirmation will appear:
and a new empty page loads immediately below ready for new data
8. Click to view all mating data in list form. (You can also click in the top menu anywhere in the program at any time to come to this page.) You can edit any detail at any time by clicking the EDIT ICON on that screen
Please note below how the Gestation Days and related Estimated DOB (Date of Birth) columns are filled for Mating records, but are blank for Birth, Spitoff, Ultrasound and Notes records:
The default number of gestation days in AotG is 342, but this can be overridden at a herd and individual animal level.
If your herd averages a different gestation period you’d rather use, go to AotG >> Property and enter that number in the Gestation Days field.
This number becomes the new default for all new mating records, and will appear automatically when adding mating records.
You can still override this for individual animals—simply overwrite the default number with your own.